Travel first aid kit.jpg

Travel / Outdoor First Aid

The Health and Safety (First-Aid) Regulations 1981


In assessing their needs, employers should consider:

  • the needs of travelling, remote and lone workers

  • the remoteness of the site from emergency medical services

Employers are responsible for meeting the first-aid needs of their employees working away from the main site, for example those who travel regularly or who work elsewhere.


The assessment should determine whether those who travel long distances or are continuously mobile should carry a personal first-aid kit.


Organisations with employees who work in remote areas should consider making special arrangements such as issuing personal communicators and providing additional training.


Where employees work alone, other means of summoning help, such as a mobile phone, may be useful to call for assistance in an emergency.


Employees who travel a lot, work remotely or work alone?

Employers should consider:

  • Issuing personal first-aid kits

  • Issuing personal communicators/mobile phones to employees

  • Lone worker check calls every hour for welfare checks

Do any of your employees work shifts or out-of-hours?

  • Employers should ensure there is adequate first-aid provision at all times people are at work.

Are the premises spread out, eg are there several buildings on the site or multifloor buildings?

  • Employers should consider the need for provision in each building or on each floor.

Is your workplace remote from emergency medical services?

Employers should:

  • Inform the emergency services of your location

  • Consider special arrangements with the emergency services

  • Consider emergency transport requirements

Do any of your employees work at sites occupied by other employers?

  • Employers should make arrangements with other site occupiers to ensure adequate provision of first aid. A written agreement between employers is strongly recommended.

Do you have sufficient provision to cover absences of firstaiders or appointed persons?

You should consider:

  • What cover is needed for annual leave and other planned absences

  • What cover is needed for unplanned and exceptional absences.